Friday, May 23, 2008
Kaldereta (Goat Stew)
* 3 - 4 lbs goat meat, cut into 2 inch pieces ( if you can't find goat meat, substitute with beef brisket)
o 3/4 cup vinegar
o 1 head garlic, crushed
o salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tbsp cooking oil (I prefer olive oil)
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup sherry (optional)
* 1.2 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup sliced onion
* 1 pc red bell pepper, cut into strips
* 1/2 cup green peas
* 1 small bay leaf
* 1 tsp white pepper
* 1/2 cup tomato sauce
* 1 slice goat liver (about 5 inches square and 1/2 inch thick) - can be substituted with 1 pc chicken liver or beef liver
* 6 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 cup green olives
* 1 cup potatoes, cubed
* 1 tsp sugar
* hot sauce to taste
* Prepare meat by marinading it in vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.
* When marinaded meat is ready, fry potatoes in olive oil, set aside.
* Fry meat until brown in both sides. Add water, sherry and onions and simmer until tender. Add olive oil and bay leaf, white pepper, red pepper and garlic. Then add tomato sauce and more water. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
* Meanwhile, brown the liver and then pound to a paste. Add water and then add to the meat.
* Season with sugar and hot sauce, then add the olives and the green peas just before removing from heat.