Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Halayang Ube (Purple Yam Jam)


My hubby and I went to the market the other day. We bought some veggies, meat, fish and fruits. I happened to see ube and I bought 1 1/4 kilo. I cooked it today and we ate it as a dessert after our meal. It was so yummy. I miss eating ube while I was in Texas. Its been more than 5 years. I used to cook this recipe before. Now I cooked it again. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 kilo ube yam root
1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk
2 cans (12 ounces) condensed milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)

Cooking Instructions:

1. On a pot, boil the unpeeled ube yam in water and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.
2. Peel and finely grate the ube yam.
3. Heat a big wok in medium heat.
4. Melt butter or margarine, add the condensed milk and vanilla flavoring. Mix well.
5. Add the 1 kilo grated ube yam,
6. Adjust the heat to low
7. Keep on mixing the ingredients for about 30 minutes or until sticky and a bit dry (but still moist).
8. Add the evaporated milk and continue to mix for another 15 minutes.
9. Let cool and place on a large platter.
10. Refrigerate before serving the halayang ube.

Cooking Tips:

You may spread additional butter or margarine on top of the jam before serving.
For the sweet toothed, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the jam after placing on the large platter.
Instead of manually grating the ube, you may cut it in cubes and use a blender to powderize the ube.

No comments:

 
Blogger Templates